Monday, January 11, 2010

Happy Birthday Joey!

Joe was a little under the weather this past week so we didn’t venture out to do much this weekend, but nonetheless it was busy and fun.

Joe stayed home with the girls on Saturday morning while I went to a meeting about the “transformation” of the Cleveland public school. We have been working with other parents in our neighborhood to establish a new charter school. Things have been moving very quickly and so many elements are falling into place that this new school seems very promising. We are incorporating and have a working website www.nearwestschool.org .

In the afternoon I took the girls to a friend’s daughter’s birthday party. They live a couple of blocks away, but given that many people do not shovel I chose not to take the stroller, but rather walk. It took me at least half an hour to bundle up the girls in their snowsuits, bulky coats, scarfs, gloves, hats and boots. Sofia broke down in tears claiming people would laugh at her for wearing her snowsuit. When did this self-consciousness happen? She couldn’t explain who would laugh or why, but luckily she agreed after I told her she could take it off when we got there. I then carried Fiona in the front carrier position, because I didn’t want to wake Joe and have him help me put her on my back. I couldn’t see over her, so had to strain to look around her and hope I didn’t step on a patch of ice. All that for a 10 minute walk (would have been five, but Sofia could barely walk in her spaceman get-up). I should have left my coat at home since I worked up a bit of a sweat. Both girls seemed to have a fun time playing with new toys and dressing up with the other kids. The way home was easier since I was carrying Fiona on my back and when my friend’s husband offered to take Sofia home (in his car), she jumped on it.

On Sunday our friends Rob and Emma came over with their girls. The girls ran around, played dress up, chased each other and then helped us bake a cake for Joe. We bought a Learning Tower as the girls’ “big” Christmas gift to give them a safe and sturdy platform to stand when they wanted to help cook or “wash” dishes. Apparently it can hold four.


Edie stirs while Sofia and Fiona supervise. Cora peeks on.

That evening we had a pre-birthday cake and had Joey blow out the candles.


Wishing Joey a happy 35th birthday!

No comments: