Saturday, April 12, 2008

First Two Weeks

I can’t believe Fiona will be two weeks tomorrow. She’s been very sleepy, but very healthy. We had her first doctor’s appointment a few days after her birth and she had gained back her birth weight, plus about 3 ounces (so up to 8lbs, 11 oz from 7lbs, 14oz the day after she was born). A few days ago we had a home visit nurse who weighed her and she was up to 8 lb, 14 oz. The nurse said she was exceeding the typical weight gain for breastfed babies, but it was excellent.

Fiona sleeps a lot during the day and at night wakes up a few times to nurse, but falls asleep relatively quickly. She does get fussy, though, when she’s hungry. If anything gets near her mouth she struggles to try and suck. Unfortunately (for me) she hasn’t taken to the pacifier so she’ll regularly use me instead. She seems to get frustrated sometimes when milk comes out and she doesn’t want it.

Visitors
We had a great time hosting visitors that first week. Sofia had a great time playing with Edie and Will. I can’t imagine how much fun it’ll be in a year when all the new babies are up and running behind the older kids. Merlin will have a heart attack. Thanks to everyone for the cute clothes for Fiona and big sister gifts for Sofia!

Big sister
Sofia has been a very good sister and often wants to hold and kiss Fiona, whom she calls “Baby Ona”. My mom was a wonderful help, mainly playing with Sofia, cleaning and letting me rest. I’m not looking forward to being on my own with both girls needing attention. I’m sure at some point one of us will end up crying or having to wait for food or a nap!

Never Leaving the House Again
As a preview, I attempted to take a walk to the market with the girls and Naomi. I had just fed Fiona and she was sleeping. Just the day before Joe, my mom, the girls and I had gone to the zoo and Fiona slept the whole time, so I assumed she’d do the same. Unfortunately Fiona woke up 10 minutes into the walk and started crying. Naomi lent me a sling and I hoisted Fiona into it. That worked for about 5 minutes and Fiona started again. I barely had time to buy bananas (for which Naomi had to lend me money because I’d forgotten to bring cash) and I started walking back. At this point Fiona is inconsolable and even Sofia looks concerned. I’m walking/jogging back down Ashley’s street and I see her getting Alta in the car. I say hello and explain what happened and that I think Fiona wants to nurse. Thankfully Ashley insists that I come inside and nurse her. Fiona ate and was satisfied enough to make it back home, but not before Ashley changed Sofia’s diaper. Thanks Ash! Our pitstop was long enough that Naomi caught up from the market and we walked home together anyway.

Of course the next day my mom, the girls and I went to the park and Fiona slept the whole time.

Below are some photos from past week.


"Abi" Polanco visiting at the hospital



My mom knitted the outfit


Joe “exhausted” from nursing


Oh oh!


That’s better!


At one week


No comments: