We went to Illinois this past week to attend Joe’s uncle Gary’s memorial. Gary was fun-loving and a very generous person. He was the first member of Joe’s family that I met and he was very friendly. Joe invited me up to Gary’s place in Wisconsin when we first started dating. I expected a romantic weekend on the Lake, swimming and riding on the wave runner with Joe. But I didn’t expect to spend the weekend with his uncle as well. Gary flew in late Saturday afternoon, bringing his lab Cigar, and so we spent the rest of the weekend hanging out with the dog and Gary. It turned out to be a good weekend and when Joe invited me to Gary, and his twin brother’s 50th Birthday Party, I at least knew two people at the party. Close to 500 people attended Gary’s visitation and the memorial was very moving. The Chicago Tribune even wrote a story about Gary in the obit section.
Gary came to visit us in Cleveland twice, most recently in November 2007. Gary was much loved and will be missed terribly.

Gary juggling Keira at six months and Sofia at two months during 4th of July weekend, 2006

Gary and Sofia (about 7 months old?)
Family Visit
Although it was a sad occasion, we did have the opportunity to visit with family and friends. Sofia had a great time playing with her cousin Keira. Keira would lead Sofia by the hand and they would play hide and seek, Ring around the Rosies, and generally run around screaming and laughing. The girls took a bath together, went to the park, to the zoo, and even had a slumber party. We also took the girls to a photo shoot. The proofs looked adorable and I’m looking forward to getting the prints.
Fun in the tub
Fun in the sun
Sofia also enjoyed her first time in the pool this season.
My brother and his family came over one afternoon and Sofia played with Vincent and Cecily.
“Abi” Polanco and grandkids
Abi, Luis, Elaine and kids
It was also Fiona’s first visit and met many of the rest of the family for the first time. My parents think she looks like Joe’s grandfather. I did notice more of a Boyd resemblance in a photo that Joe’s mom took, so I suppose they’re right.
We also took advantage of the time and had Fiona baptized.
Fiona’s godparents, my best friend Rosy, and Joe’s brother Brian
Fiona pretty much cried during the entire ceremony
Fiona also hung out with new cousin Brendan. He’s about seven months old.
Brendan army crawled his way over to Fiona
Random cute photos
The girls in Sofia’s crib
Fiona napping
Sofia ready to go shopping
No comments:
Post a Comment