I proceeded to take her in for x-rays and a lot of waiting. The x-rays were inconclusive, but showed a “suspicious” shadow. By the way, Fiona hated the x-rays. Although three of them were lying down, for which I had to hold her down, one was in a plastic casing that surrounded her torso and kept her arms up over her head. It was awful to see her in that contraption and not be able to console her while she screamed and cried. Thankfully it only took a few minutes.
After the x-rays her doctor told me to take Fiona to the ER at the Cleveland Clinic and see a pediatric gastroenterologist, if in fact there was a bowel obstruction, in which case they would have to operate immediately. I dragged Joe out of work to go with me because I knew it would be a long, painful wait. Surprisingly we were registered right away, but then began waiting for the doctor. After his quick 5 minute overview, we were told to get an ultrasound. And waited. And waited. After the ultrasound, which Fiona hated, the doctor said she was fine and it was simply constipation. We then waited for several hours to see the original doctor again and in the end a pediatric gastroenterologist. That doctor gave poor Fiona an enema, but not much happened. We were told to give her laxatives over the weekend and thus began the Poop Watch.

Fiona in her little hospital gown; she was the hit of the ER. Nurses kept peeking in to smile and coo and she got a couple of stuffed dolls and a book out of it.
Ally & Sara’s Whirlwind Visit
Given Fiona’s drama, Allison and Sara delayed their trip until we knew that Fiona wouldn’t have to go into the doctor or hospital over the weekend. The Girls arrived around 2AM and Fiona was awake to greet them.
Aside from the poop issue, Fiona’s a very good sport and generally smiles and is quite mellow.

Ally & Sara pose with Fiona
Saturday afternoon we went to Bar Cento for some great gourmet pizza and then popped into the West Side Market as part of a “must see” on the tourist trail.

The fries were great too!
We broke my cardinal rule of Sofia getting her daily nap to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and paid for it when she turned into the Tasmanian Devil. She insisted in running around the museum while we tried to corral her back into the stroller.

Sara & Sofia before the devil appeared

Scary!
Fiona started coughing one afternoon and I thought she might have swallowed wrong, but after a few moments I realized she was choking on something. It was my worst fear and I was terrified, but I wasn’t sure whether she really was choking or would cough it up. Nonetheless I was scared and Sara suggested I lay her face down on my leg and slap her back. I handed Fiona to her and she did it while I put my finger in her mouth trying to get it out. Turned out to be a piece of tape from the back of one of Sofia’s art pieces that was taped to a kitchen wall. Awful! Thanks Sara for saving Fiona’s life!
After that misadventure, Joe made a great dinner of flank steak and bacon potatoes, and then Ally, Sara and I went to Momocho’s for cucumber margaritas and thereafter ventured to Bounce for some dance music. Our girls loved their visit and hope they come back soon!
Random photos
I took a photo of Fiona showing off a little dress my mom knitted for her. She’s also showing off her two bottom, and sole, teeth.


Itzel & Fiona
1 comment:
Poor little Fiona! I hope she feels better soon.
Post a Comment